Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Journey of an E-Portfolio

Dear Blog,

I am about to start on a blogging excursion through cyber space and this is my first blogging experience and I feel a little nervous about it. For our CTT assessment we are required to set up an E-Portfolio where we reflect on our teaching and learning practises and hopefully others will follow the process and share their learnings.
The other night we looked at interactive learning spaces compared to the old school lecture theatres and how this affects students learning. Coming from a PE and Health teaching background I am more of a Tactile or kinaesthetic learner and love learning in a space where you can interact and learn with others, rather than sitting in a lecture theatre where you don’t interact with others and you are required to sit and listen then regurgitate the information you have learnt. I still feel there is a place for this type of learning however in smaller doses!! I have a tendency to start fidgeting then start getting distracted………
Due to the content of what I have been teaching my classes are over the 80/20 rule in practical already and its finding a way to engage learning in a class environment when so many of my lessons are already practical and the students aren’t so keen on putting those theories to paper. This is where I need to start looking at deeper questioning and engage the students in the processes behind getting fit!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Wheezy.... great start to your blog. Look forward to hearing how you incorporate the 20 into your practical sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think in our particular subject area we need to look at that deeper questioning that you mentioned. But to do this i think we need to have the class engaged in discussion. But with the nature of a practical lesson, that's not always going to be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking about interactive spaces, I don't think that you can get much more interactive than sports. I would imagine getting students to sit still could be a challenge. Do you cover nutrition on your programme?

    ReplyDelete