Monday, May 24, 2010

CLASSROOM CULTURE!!





Creating the right classroom environment is really important for a student to get the most benefits from their learning. If a safe and friendly culture is created then the students will be more open to expressing their views as well as taking responsibility for their learning needs.

Although my continuum tends to sway more towards a theory x culture I feel it depends on the type of students you are teaching. I initially thought I would sway more towards Theory Y where you teach and give your students the freedom of learning, however because I am teaching at a lower level the students need focus and a lot of direction and motivation to complete tasks.
For example I have just spent a week in the lecture theatre teaching the principles and components of fitness and how to train more efficiently before the students start their training. As a part of their course completion they need to hand in a completed work sheet at the end of every session in order to finish their assessment. Majority of the the students hand in their sheets completed, however it takes a lot of direction from myself and my colleagues who are also teaching with me and also a lot of motivation and encouraging in class to get this done. These students need to be kept busy in order to gain knowledge from the lecture so we keep them busy doing group work, presentations and tasks that have them working in pairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment